“If you’re not a beet lover, read on, and you soon will be.” That’s how this article introduces 6 health benefits of beets. And, well, after reading it I have to agree.
I bought beets at the market this weekend, because a friend who works in my building lauded their cancer-fighting properties. It’s been quite some time since I’ve eaten beets, but after reading that article I’m convinced I should make a dish that incorporates beets at least once a week. You can even eat the leaves!
6 Health Benefits of Beets:
- High Boron content increases your human sex hormones. Vitality much? It’s only healthy 😉
- Vitamins and minerals including potassium, magnesium, fiber, phosphorous, iron, vitamins A, B, and C, beta-carotene, beta-cyanine, folic acid, and much more. Just wow.
- Cancer-preventing, detoxifying, cleansing. Call it what you want. Bottom line: if you like to drink a lot, balance it out with eating loads of beets! It cleanses the liver like a maniac.
- Natural anti-depressant, thanks to betaine (also found in synthetic anti-depressants) and tryptophan (you know, the turkey thing). Lowers blood pressure too.
- Monitor your stomach acid levels? Yeah … If your pee is pink after eating beets, your stomach acid is low and you need to eat more beets to increase the strength of your digestion!
- Low calorie, high but slow-release sugar content provides a long-lasting source of energy.
I plan to research some beet recipes. I’ll try them out and if they’re any good I’ll be sure to post about them! 🙂